Workshop on "Future Earthquakes in Southern California and Preparedness"
Chapman University invites you to this free all-day conference to learn how the Southern California region is preparing for future earthquakes.
We will cover:
- Earthquake Hazards in Orange County
- Orange County’s Planning Efforts for When the Large Earthquake Strikes
- Landslides, Mudslides and Tsunamis
- Water Utility Resilience
- Emergency Planning and Preparedness
- Community Safety and Resilience
Speakers include experts from US Geological Survey, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Municipal Water District of Orange County, seismic risk app Temblor and southern California universities.
Speakers and topics include:
- Ross S. Stein, CEO of Temblor; learn your seismic risk; former USGS, resigned and now heading this company. “From Fishnet Stockings to Falling Apples: Earthquake interactions on the scale of a fault to the planet”
- Abhijit Ghosh, Ph.D., University of California, Riverside
- “Earthquake Physics and Faults”
- Binod Tiwari, Ph.D., P.E., California State University, Fullerton
- “Earthquakes, Landslides & Mudslides”
- Eldon Gath, President, Earth Consultants International
- “The Santa Ana Mountains: Indenter Tectonics and the Earthquake Hazards of The OC’”
- Jeff Ellis, PE, SE, Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc. (structural engineering firm)
- “Community Safety and Earthquake Resilience”
- Jonathan P. Stewart
- "Earthquake resilience of California’s water distribution systems"
- Karl W. Seckel, P.E., Municipal Water District of Orange County (MWDOC)
- “Orange County’s Planning Efforts for When the Large Earthquake Strikes”
- Kelly Hubbard, Emergency Services Manager, Water Emergency Response Organization
- “Water Utility Resilience through Emergency Planning & Preparedness”
- Karl & Kelly → Water in OC- how the water district in OC is preparing for a disaster
- Lisa Grant Ludwig, Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, “Earthquake and public health”
- Ramesh Singh, Ph.D., Chapman University
- Susan Hough, Ph.D. (USGS)
- “Preparing for Future Earthquakes”
- Tony Song, Ph.D. (JPL; has developed early warning post-tsunami GPS system)
- “Tsunami Danger in Southern California”